Skip to main content

The Epitaph


The other day there was one of those unsolicited messages in one of those unsolicited groups. Yes, with time, I have started attending WhatsApp University. And with time, I have stopped exiting groups; I attend these classes as a passive, mute student of unlearning – though my attendance would be considered insufficient. Many may call me a watcher or even a voyeur. However, I yearn to unlearn a lot – especially from groups that proudly exhibit the term Media or Journalist. So I do occasionally glance through the sundry post when I need to unlearn or get winded.

In the message, one of these media specialists targeted a certain “infamous” communist leader, raising questions over his source of income in supporting his livelihood (even if frugal) or funding an election campaign. Left is just a four-letter word today. And now that it has been rendered politically and economically irrelevant, I find it amusing that some people still find it worth flogging a dead horse. And I LoL when someone tries to defend the philosophy(ies).


In the said group, someone tried – not to defend – but to advise the erring member to study the ways and means of the Left parties and how they work. I ROFL when such a group-member tries to impart reasoning and learning to another member who just loves to hate something that the latter just does not know anything about and does not intend to know anything about. Isn’t that’s why we interact with prejudice on the social media?

Thus, here was someone analysing the unknown of a political leader who represents a school of politics which is almost a century old in our country on a platform that has already given the right of way to prejudice.

But surely one can ask me why I don’t ROFL writing this?

Because if the erring group-member was indeed from media, I write it as an epitaph to a profession... where Wikipedia and WhatsApp are quoted as "a reliable source”... RIP!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 'Invisible' Working Hands

Vijay Yadav was from Patna, Bihar, and Sufian Momin was from Maldah, West Bengal. They became friends while working at a multi-storey-building construction site in Mumbai. On Monday (April 13) evening, Momin gets a call from Vijay; later, other labourers from Maldah who were staying in Bandra east also receive similar phone-calls. Calls were also received by labourers from other states with a message for them to assemble at the bus stop near Bandra railway station on Tuesday afternoon with a demand: “either arrange our food, or arrange our return home”. Thus, the migrants from Maldah joined workers from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, others, at the said bus stop in Mumbai. 'THE INVISIBLES' by GOPAL DUTT SHARMA  The labourers later said that instead of either proving food or a passage home, police dispersed them with baton charge. Some were injured by the caning; but scared of being nabbed by the police, most preferred to suffer quietly at the shanties that are their temp...

To My Colleagues Covering #CoronaScare

To colleagues working in their newsrooms or on the field in these days of Corona scare… To those comrades who will not or cannot isolate or quarantine themselves… To associates who will tomorrow again “cover” Parliament, the offices on Raisina Hill, or various hospitals, or other ‘beats’… From my hardworking young friend @IamNaveenKapoor handle I may not be anywhere there, but my thoughts, my wishes, my applause are always for you, with you… When countrymen open their newspapers, switch on to a news channel or log onto a news-site, they will know what they want to know because you were there to source out what you know they will want to know… When such calamities strike, editors scramble reporters to ground zero. And this time, it’s ground zero everywhere! What is worse – and what I can understand – your beat, your daily reporting will become tougher and tougher as the “society is walled off”. And the times aren’t good for either news or for the media industry a...